Sunday, November 21, 2010

Black Friday Frenzy

With Thanksgiving merely days away I am itching to get home to take in all the turkey, pie, family lovin' and holiday cheer. However, once that alarm clock starts screaming at 4 a.m. on Black Friday it is a whole new ball game. The warm, fuzzy feelings of holiday cheer: gone. The excitement of holiday shopping: eliminated. Black Friday calls for an all-out removal of any sentimental notion which will be replaced by aggression, will power, and determination. One might laugh as I speak of the intensity of Black Friday; I am assuming that person has never stood outside in the wee hours of a November morning in the midwest. 

I had my first Black Friday experience in 2008. My mission: to get my hands on a 10.1 megapixel Kodak camera for $80. Thankfully my parents were on quests of their own and elected to join me in line outside of Target at 4 a.m. Sure, standing around got tedious and annoying, especially when I was subjected to the torture of taking the the miserable conversations of the group behind me. Yet, I remained focused, and pictured all of the sweet snap shots I will be taking with my sweet, new camera. When opening time neared the crowd grew restless (yes, people really like to shove). It was at this point that survival mode kicked in, in addition to the adrenaline rush of go-time. I was among the first twenty people in the door. I squeezed though the doors and felt compelled to sprint. Then, I suddenly realized, I wasn't satisfied just getting my hands on the Kodak camera. I wanted to be the first one to take a camera off of the untouched stack, and believe me, I was. 

Even though I had what I came for, the adrenaline was still raging. I was running around the store just looking at all of the things the 155 people outside were itching to have. I started to want all of these ridiculous items like Garmins, and Playstations, and crap I genuinely do not want anything to do with. It was intense, and the competitive side of me loved every minute of it. 

Ever since that Black Friday I have not had any one item I was eager to own. I have never felt those raw emotions about shopping since that day. This year, word is out there is a 38" flat panel television for $199.99. It's a risky item to have sights set on, but I am willing to embrace the challenge. I guess it's time to gear up, shut up, and focus on the task at hand; because when 3:35 a.m. rolls around, baby I'm there!

Too many people think that video taping their Black Friday experience constitutes as a "fight" when labeled for YouTube. I personally am loving this video. I think it's great that this guy is completely supportive of whomever drug him out of bed and forced him to drive to Best Buy for the sale. In the meantime, he us just going to chill out in the car and watch the madness be unleashed. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment