Friday, November 19, 2010

The Power of Words

Just over six months ago my cousin Katie passed away in a tragic accident. She was young, beautiful, and above all inspirational. As a 26-year-old dance teacher, Katie stole the hearts of many with her continuing aspiration to do good in the world and her contagious, beaming smile. While I was at home during the wake of her death, my family visited her family at their home. Naturally, there was an outpouring of food and flowers from friends and family. I had never experienced such a tragedy that hit so close to home and witnessing the aftermath was heart wrenching. However, I happened to be present when five of Katie's roommates strolled in with some very priceless treasures. With them they brought Katie's journals.

Now whenever I have attempted journaling it typically begins as a wave of great thoughts and ends with a dry spell of pages that will never take on a life of their own. Katie, on the contrary, wrote in her journal religiously. Every note, message, thought, silly poem, inspirational quote, bad day, and even a few silly rap songs all found their way to the pages of her journal. 

One will never know the significance of her truly amazing words until they witness her family read each and every one. I have never been, nor do I ever expect to be, so moved in all of my life. Her parents laughed, cried, and pictured exactly what she was doing when she wrote each and every line. 

Katie had no idea that while she was jotting down her daily occurrences, she was actually constructing a bridge for her family to cross into her life after she was gone. I have no doubt that they read her journals of multiple volumes every single day. Her compositions are currently playing a crucial role in their healing. 

Words are so powerful. They have an infinite amount of meaning as well as an endless ability to move. In Katie's famous words, "Live. Always do what you love." Well, Katie, I absolutely love to write. Although I am not the queen of journaling as you were, your highness, I plan to leave a legacy of words as well. Thank you for your beautiful inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment